Are you sure that you have been brushing your teeth properly? You may be having the best toothbrush but brushing your teeth effectively is a major challenge to many. Brushing your teeth is very important for the removal of bacteria from your mouth. It also makes you comfortable when you are talking with your friends as it prevents bad breath. In this article, I will give you a systematic guide on how to brush your teeth using an electric toothbrush. Are you ready to learn? Check out this article for more details.
What do you need?
How should you brush your teeth?
- Apply small amounts of toothpaste on the brush.
- Place the brush at 45° to your gums.
- Hold your brush gently by use of your thumb, middle finger and index if you are using a manual toothbrush. When using an electric toothbrush, use your hand but avoid squeezing the toothbrush.
- Place the brush diagonally against the tooth surface then move it systematically using small and circular movements. This ensures the brush reaches to all parts of your mouth. If you are using an electric toothbrush, you can move the head of your toothbrush back and forth just like when you are using a manual brush. Take at least 2 seconds on each tooth.
- Tilt the brush vertically when cleaning the interior surfaces of lower and upper front teeth. Move the tip of your toothbrush in up and down stroke motion.
- You can also brush your tongue from the back to remove any food particles. This also removes odor-causing bacteria to give you a fresh breath.
- Finally, you can now spit out the mixture but do not rinse your mouth. The small amount of fluoride which remains in your mouth helps to strengthen the enamel. It also keeps your mouth fresh.
- Rinse your toothbrush and allow it to dry.
How many times should you brush in a day?
You should brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes in a day without considering the time taken for flossing. Setting aside 10 minutes in a day enables you to have a fabulous oral hygiene routine. It is good to brush your teeth after taking meals to remove food particles. You should replace your toothbrush after 2-3 months.
Electric toothbrushes have the following advanced features
- An inbuilt timer which enables you to brush within the recommended time
- A wall mounted display which shows you the brushing time
- A pressure sensor which prevents you from applying excessive force when cleaning
- Smart sensors which adjust the brushing movement
- An app which you can install on your smartphone to track your daily brushing routine
As we have seen, brushing your teeth is very important. When brushing, it is good to divide the brushing parts into 4 quadrants. Spend at least 30 seconds on each part. Pay attention to 1-3 teeth and spend at least 2 seconds on each. Avoid applying excessive force when brushing as this may damage your teeth. It can also reduce the efficiency of the bristles. Remember to visit your dentist regularly maybe after every 6 months or at least once per year. It is my hope that now you know to brush your teeth effectively.