Are you taking care of your oral health? This is very important for your health. To achieve this, you need to have a good toothbrush, which will ensure your mouth is free from bacteria and plaque. Failure to brush your teeth is unhygienic and may disrupt your daily duties and your personal life. It can be very disgusting and embarrassing for people around you due to bad breath. To be honest, sometimes it is hard to take care of this especially when you are late and all you want to do is to rush to your job. As a way of saving time, you may find it is time-consuming to brush your teeth especially when you are doing it manually. Have you ever heard of an electric toothbrush? This is one of the latest means of cleaning and can help you if you want to improve your oral health. Unlike the manual or the traditional methods, this one is unique and efficient as we shall see in this article. It also helps you to save time since it comes with an inbuilt timer which runs for two minutes. Would you like to know some of the best cheap electric toothbrushes you can buy today? Check out this article for more details.
MANUAL VS. ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH
Toothbrushes are of two types. There is the manual toothbrush and electric toothbrush. Let us now look at their differences.
As compared to the electric toothbrush, this one comes in a wider range. The bristles can be soft or hard. You can attach them to a larger, standard or small head. A manual toothbrush requires your efforts to move around your mouth. The bristles are more flexible as compared to those of an electric toothbrush which are compact.
These are the latest toothbrushes and are highly recommended by doctors. They are of two types. There is the rechargeable toothbrush and battery/power toothbrush. Rechargeable toothbrushes must have a source of energy while the power brushes use AA batteries.
a) Rechargeable toothbrushes
You must connect them to a power supply first. They are stronger than the manual and power toothbrush. They also have a detachable head, which means they can use one handle unit. They comprise of different forms of technology, which includes ultrasonic/sonic technology and 3D Cleaning Action.
b) Battery powered toothbrush
These are for people who would like to shift from manual to the electric toothbrush but are afraid of the strong vibrations and oscillations produced by rechargeable toothbrushes. They use AA batteries and offers an exceptional cleaning when compared to the manual toothbrushes.
WHY SHOULD YOU BUY AN ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH?
- Brushing movement: When using an electric toothbrush, you do not need to press or scrub hard. You just need to guide the brush to produce the required brushing action. Guide the head gently from tooth to tooth. It is good to consider the contours of your gums and the shape of your teeth when cleaning.
- Brushing Modes: Electric toothbrushes offer precise brushing modes, unlike the manual toothbrushes. You can find a brush that offers deep cleaning, daily cleaning, massage, tongue cleaning, and whitening. Each model allows the user to switch from one mode to another.
- Timer: Unlike the manual toothbrush, these have a timer that stops them from brushing for two minutes. Some can alert you when you need to move to the next part of your mouth.
- Clean and polish: Dental cleaning involves removal of tartar deposits and plaque. Electric toothbrushes are very effective in doing this.
- They are comfortable for children and physically disabled: Electric toothbrushes are the best for kids and physically challenged since they are very easy to use. You should use the recommended toothbrush for each group. You should also be careful because the strong vibrations can destroy your kid’s gums since they are susceptible.
- Gum care: Electric toothbrush provides sufficient care for your gums. If you do not take care of your gums, they can develop inflammation that may destroy the bone and gum tissue which supports your teeth. Having an effective toothbrush ensures your gums are well protected.
- Choice of the brush head: The effectiveness of electric toothbrushes depends on the design of the brush head. Electric toothbrushes allow you to choose between small, medium and big brushing heads.
DISADVANTAGES OF THE ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH
- They are more expensive than manual toothbrushes.
- The cost of replacing the brush head is high.
- They need the recharge for them to work.
TYPES OF ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH
There are three types of electric toothbrushes. These include;
This one contains two methods of cleaning. It uses the side-to-side mechanism, which helps in the removal of plaque and bacteria and the non-contact approach which disrupts plague at the end of the bristles. Side to side cleaning is handy since it involves scrubbing of the surfaces just like in manual brushing.
During non-contact cleaning, the toothbrush head must vibrate at speed similar to the range of 20-20,000 Hz which is the rate at which human beings hears. The vibrations stimulate fluids, which are around the teeth. This makes it easy to remove plaque which is beyond the reach of the toothbrush. The head of a sonic brush looks the same as a manual toothbrush including the shape and size.
This one has a small and round head which moves from side to side in a circular motion to remove plaque and bacteria. When you are using this type of toothbrush, you should move it from one tooth to another allowing it to do the cleaning. The movement of the head and bristles cleans the teeth through scrubbing. Oscillating-rotating movement is also known as 2D cleaning. This is because it creates contact between the teeth and the brush.
Unlike others, this method does not involve physical movement when cleaning. Instead, it uses intense vibrations which produce a wave of 20,000Hz or2,400,000 movements per minute. These waves destroyed the bacteria and plaque available in your mouth.
HOW DOES AN ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH WORK?
When making these brushes, a lot of technical engineering and science is used. An electric toothbrush must be connected to a power source which directs current to a motor. The engine contains some gears which turn and moves the head of the toothbrush. Most of these brushes have a timer which alerts you when it is time to go to the next part of your month. This makes them very useful for the removal of plaque and bacteria. For it to serve you for a long time, you should ensure it is always clean. This helps to remove the toothpaste residue which may build up on the brush.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN SEARCHING FOR THE BEST ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH
The speed of the toothbrush: An electric toothbrush moves at a very high speed and you cannot compare them with manual brushing. This makes the cleaning to be more efficient especially for the removal of plaque and bacteria. These brushes also protect the gums from diseases. These brushes oscillate, vibrate and rotate at different speeds.
Modes of cleaning: Electric toothbrushes come with different modes which allow users to adjust the brush according to their requirement. You should look for a toothbrush that contains different styles. These methods include deep cleaning, sensitive mode, massage mode and whitening mode. Some toothbrushes enable the user to switch between vibrating, rotating, pulsing and oscillating motions. They might be a bit expensive but are worth the price.
Accessories: If you want to buy a toothbrush handle with a separate head you should ensure the toothbrush has all the required accessories. Some of the essential accessories are a charging station and a power cable. A carrier or travel case and charger are also important.
Interval timer: Some toothbrushes have multiple timers which alert you after 30 seconds to inform you that you need to proceed to the next part of your mouth. These timers are necessary because they ensure that all parts of your mouth are cleaned equally.
Pressure sensor: Vigorous brushing can cause irritation to your gums. This may lead to soreness and bleeding. To prevent this, some toothbrushes have a pressure sensor which alerts you when you’ve applied excessive pressure.
Brushing Timer: An electric toothbrush with a timer is the best because it allows you to know the time you should take when brushing. Most of the timers run for about two minutes.
The source of power: These brushes must have a source of power. Batteries are more efficient when using these brushes because you can use the brush wherever you are. You do not need any cables to connect.
Cost: It is good to set a budget when searching for a good electric toothbrush. Most of the advanced toothbrushes are a bit expensive. Those without many features are more affordable but you can still get a good toothbrush which is affordable.
5 BEST CHEAP ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH
1. Philips Sonicare Essence – Best Budget Electric Toothbrush
This toothbrush comes with a handle, charger, brush head, instruction manual, and a head cap, unlike others. It is simple to use and very useful since it does not have any modern devices.The handle contains rubber strips on the sides which allow you to hold it even when your hands are wet. It also has a green button which you can use to turn it on. There is an indicator inside the power button which alerts you when the battery is low. It comes in different colors ie. pink and white. It has a long head which has a length of 7 inches. This gives you a comfortable brushing in the innermost parts of your mouth. The brush head has a magnet which allows it to vibrate. The best thing with Phillips Sonicare electric toothbrush is that it has a warranty of two and a half years.
Another outstanding feature of this toothbrush is that it uses patented sonic technology which is effective in removal of plaque and bacteria. On average, it produces 31,000 strokes per minute. The neck of the brush is flexible and can reach any part of your mouth. The brush head of this toothbrush comes in three different modes that are the standard which arrives in a package, compact which is suitable for those with small mouths and sensitive which has very soft bristles. This brush has a reliable timer which goes off after two minutes. Charging takes around 24hours, and the battery can run for two weeks without recharging.
- It has an accurate timer
- It comes with a well-explained manual
- It is easy to use, and you can replace the head easily.
- It does a thorough job when cleaning
- The battery is long lasting
- It is loud and does not have an indicator to show you the mode you are using.
- It takes time for the user to get used to the vibrations
- It is heavy
2. Aiyabrush ZR101 – Best Entry Level Electric Toothbrush
This toothbrush is very affordable and does not have many features. It is more efficient than a manual toothbrush. Electric toothbrush sensitive Aiyabrush makes 21,000 movements per minute.
This gives your mouth a nice feeling and leaves your teeth shining. The secret behind this toothbrush is that sonic vibrations create bubbles which use the fluids in your mouth to reach the innermost parts of your mouth. It comes with a timer and a thirty-second reminder which alerts you when it is time to move to the next part of the mouth. The best thing with this toothbrush is that the bristles are very soft and friendly to the gums. This makes it ideal for children aged 3-12 years. The battery can last for three months when fully recharged. It is effortless to use since it only has one button. It is also one of the best entry-level electric toothbrushes.
- It is cheap as compared to other toothbrushes.
- The battery lasts for a long time.
- It is friendly to those with sensitive gums.
- It is straightforward to use, and this makes it suitable for children.
- It has a timer.
- It does not have many features
- It is only ideal for children.
3. Haigerx Kids – Kids Electric Toothbrush with Music
This toothbrush is the Best electric toothbrush for kids. It is also known as Sonicare rechargeable music timer. You can find it in blue or pink colors. Unlike other toothbrushes, this one plays music continuously within the two minutes.
The music is divided into four popular rhymes which children above two years enjoy when brushing. This encourages kids to keep o brushing since they are drawn to music coming from the toothbrush. The toothbrush is waterproof and contains a handle which enables you to hold when your hands are wet. It also has cartoon stickers which can be customized depending on the demands of your kids. Another fantastic feature of Haigerx toothbrush is that it has a USB charger which you can use to charge your smartphone. The batteries are long lasting and can stay for more than two weeks without recharging. This toothbrush comes with two brush heads which are easy to replace. It makes 30,000 pulses in a minute through vibration.
- It is waterproof.
- It has a USB charger
- The battery is long lasting
- It comes with two brush heads.
- The music is too loud for some kids.
- The music may not be appealing to children above eight years.
4. Oral-B White Pro 1000 – Best Electric Toothbrush For Braces
Do you want a quality toothbrush which is affordable? This one might be the perfect choice for you because it does not have additional devices. It is more superior than a manual toothbrush and has been clinically tested. It is one of the best budget electric toothbrushes.
The best thing with this toothbrush is that it has a very active timer which boozes after every thirty seconds when it is time to move to the next part of your mouth. It stays for seven days without recharging and has a 3D cleaning ability. This means it rotates, pulsates and oscillates when brushing. Another feature is that it has a pressure sensor which gives you a gentle cleaning. This is important because your gums are protected from excessive brushing. The sensor also enables you to brush your teeth gently. When you have applied extreme pressure, the sensor stops pulsating. You can use this toothbrush with any Oral-B brush heads because it is compatible. It is one of best electric toothbrush for braces.
- It has an active timer which alerts you after every thirty seconds.
- It consists of three cleaning actions and has three bristles zones on the brush head. This makes it useful when cleaning.
- It has a 3D cleaning action which means it can rotate, oscillate and pulsate when breaking up plaque and bacteria in your mouth.
- The battery does not last long when compared to other toothbrushes.
5. Waterpik WP-900
Are you searching for a toothbrush that will give you a complete dental care any time you brush? Waterpik Complete flosser toothbrush is a perfect choice for your mouth hygiene.
This is one of the best mid-range electric toothbrushes. It has a powerful combination of water pressure which does a thorough job when cleaning your teeth and gums. It has a compact design which consists of two devices namely, the Waterpik WP-900 Water Flosser and a sonic toothbrush. The ergonomic design of this toothbrush ensures that it takes just a small portion of your counter. It also helps you to have professional dental care equipment at your disposal. Unlike others, this toothbrush comes with five water flosser tips, two sonic brush heads and a suitable travel case which keeps your gadgets intact when traveling. When fully recharged, it can take up to three days without recharging. When compared to a manual toothbrush, this one is 159% more effective in removal of plaque and bacteria. If you have sensitive gums, this one may be the perfect toothbrush for you because it has a moderate head that gives you a comfortable brushing.
- It is extremely convenient
- It is very powerful
- It occupies a small space
- It comes with additional accessories such as brush heads and a travel case.
- It is compelling and very dangerous when mishandled.
- It is only compatible with 120VAC/60Hz outlet
- The flosser tank does not have a good design which means sometimes it can leak.
As we have seen, it is very important to take care of our oral health. If you don’t clean your teeth thoroughly, you might be susceptible to a lot of health problems. To solve these problems, you may need a lot of money. It is very important to take measures in order to prevent this. Buying a quality toothbrush should be one of your priorities if you want to maintain a good oral health.
The above is the best cheap electric toothbrush you can buy today. It is my hope that you will identify a good toothbrush from the ones we have reviewed. All of them are quality brushes and have been clinically tested. It is up to you now to go through the features and select the one that you feel that it fits your demands. Have you learned something? Don’t wait, buy one today to avoid problems which might occur in the long run.